Fire Safety Tips
May 22, 2015
- It may seem obvious, but the first thing to do is pull over! Do it safely, causing a crash while trying to get to the side of the road certainly wont help!
- Turn off the engine. A simple thing to do but often forgotten during the rush to get out. Â The ignition off may even be the cause so turning it off, though not stopping things, may slow them down.
- Get everyone out of the car! Do this quickly and safely, be aware of passing traffic when passengers are tryingÂ to leave the vehicle.
- Do not return to the car for anything. No matter what precious possessions you have in the car, never go back.
- Make sure you and your passengers moveÂ at least 40 meters away from the car.
- Call 999
- Keep your car in good order. Have it serviced by a professional and have any recommended work done.
- Be aware of your car, check under the bonnet from time to time. Look for loose wiring, loose caps and hoses; generally cast your eye over the engine bay and underneath the car and be on the look out for the unusual.
- Be aware of fluctuations in temperature and fluid levels when driving. A sharp increase in temperature or a drop in oil pressure would indicate something is wrong!